Kelewele is one of the very popular foods
You’ll hardly find a vendor during the day, it is as if the darkness of the night is a special ingredient. But don’t worry yet, here is a simple recipe with an equally simple procedure that you will definitely love.
- Ripe plantains (number depends on you, really)
- Powdered ginger
- Ground red pepper
- Cooking oil
And now the procedure:
1. Peel the plantain and cut into very little pieces.
2. With a mixing bowl (or whichever bowl is available to you) mix pepper, ginger and salt well.
3. Add the chopped plantain to the mixture to fully coat them.
4. Heat oil in a skillet (or frying pan) and fry the mixture-coated chops until they turn golden brown.
5. Serve with roasted (or fried) groundnuts to fully immerse yourself in the experience.
Take note that the spices herein mentioned are, well, spicy. So add them judiciously and to your taste.
Now, you can enjoy your Kelewele any time and any day and not be at the mercy of the vendor in your hood who chooses not to come only on the days that you’re craving it.