Emirates Airline has announced that it will be suspending most of its passenger flights to various destinations from the 25th March, 20202 as governments close down their borders due to the Coronavirus.
Earlier on Sunday, the national airliner of the United Arab Emirates had planned to shut down all passenger fly programmes but later rescinded the decision after receiving calls from several countries to continue the service upon request.
In a statement shared on their social media platforms, Emirates updated clients on steps taken to help mitigate the spread of the Coronavirus across the world.
“Having receiving requests from governments and customers to support the repatriation of travellers, Emirates will continue to operate passenger and cargo flights to the following countries until further notice, as long as borders remain open, and there is demand: the UK, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Japan, Singapore, Australia, South Africa, USA, and Canada. a company statement said Sunday. The situation remains dynamic, and travellers can check flight status on emirates.com,” a section of the statement read.
It was, however, continuing with its Cargo programme to all its frequent destinations.
“Emirates SkyCargo operations to maintain vital international air cargo links for economies and communities,” it pointed out
Customers affected by the travel ban and other issues were also encouraged to visit their website to make changes.
“If you are a customer impacted by travel disruptions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we offer you the option to request a travel voucher for future travel within one year. Please visit: emirat.es/help,” it said.
Emirates is the first of the world’s largest airline organizations to announce such a drastic measure amidst lockdown, the closing of borders and flight cancellations as the Corona Virus spreads across the world.